BMFA London area minutes Jan 2020

By | November 6, 2022

Minutes of the London Area Meeting for Thursday 9th January 2020 The Pedham Golf Centre, London Road, Swanley, Kent BR88PP

Present: Steve Brett (Bickley); John Lewis (Epping & North Weald); Neil Bradshaw (FOOHLS); Tim Billings (Concord); Dave Warren (Concord); Bob Ryan (Bickley); Martin Dilly (Croydon); Alan Robinson (Eynsford)

Apologies: for absence; Bill Wheeler (Bickley)

Minutes of the previous Meeting: These were accepted. Proposed by Bob Ryan, seconded by Martin Dilly

Matters Arising: None

Chairman’s report. Dave reported that he had spoken to Manny about the Ally Pally show and that Southern Area would again be helping. There had been contact with a relation of Terry Rounce who had reported that he was now in a care home.

Vice Chairman’s report. Nothing to report.

Secretary’s report. Nothing to report.

Treasurer’s report. Dave had spoken to Nat West but had been dissatisfied with their response. There was currently £375.55 and £0.36 in the two accounts. Tim Billings said that he had felt frustrated and had contacted Metrobank and spoken to a business manager who had been very happy to take the account. Dave said that he could transfer the money when that had been done and that the Area’s proposed budget for 2020 had been forwarded to the BMFA.

Achievement Scheme Coordinator’s Report. Dave Warren said that there had been very few inquiries regarding multi rotor registration.

London Area Delegate’s Report. Martin Dilly reported on the proposals for the forthcoming council meeting (Saturday 11th January). He explained the proposed changes to the composition of the technical committees with not more than two specialist bodies being represented. There was general agreement with this suggestion. Martin also explained the proposal around the ‘Friends of Buckminster’ as a charity and the need for a number of trustees.

PRO Report. There was a brief discussion about the problem of putting a new logo on the website. Dave Warren said that this was due to a formatting issue and that he would look into it.

Safety Advisor’s Reports. Bob Ryan reported that the cooperation/coexistence of slope soaring and paragliding at Thurnham had been going well and that this had been facilitated by the attendance of some modellers at the paragliders’ AGM.

Education Officer’s Reports. Nothing to report.

Silent Flight Report. Bob Ryan reported that the dates for the F5j Bartletts league competitions were as follows: 12thApril;3rdMay;28thJune;19thJuly;16thAugust and 27th September. The F5j Kent League competitions would be on 17th May,14th June and 20th September. All these dates would be confirmed on the BARCS website. The slope soaring site at Blue Bell Hill had been lost due to the proximity to Rochester Airport.

Free Flight Report. Croydon would be running the same contests as in previous years and allowance had been made in the budget.

Helicopter Report. Bob Ryan proposed Alan Robinson as helicopter rep. This was seconded by Steve Brett and Alan was welcomed onto the Committee.

RC Power Report. Steve said that there had been a resurgence in vintage models at both Bickley and FOOHLS.

Fixed Wing Turbine Report. Nothing to report.

London Area Webmaster: Nothing to report.


Bob Ryan said that Bickley MFC will celebrate their 50th year in 2020. The provisional date for the celebrations is the late Spring Bank Holiday weekend (Sunday 3rd May). Further Bickley events include: Sunday 14th June – Open EDF fly in; Sunday 12th July – Avicraft Fun Fly day; Saturday 15th August – Car Boot sale; Sunday 16th August – Open Scale fly in. Bob   reminded the Committee of the talk to be given by Mark Smith on the Victoria Cross (with an RAF bias) to be held at Pedham Place Golf Centre on 24th March 2020 at 19.30 prompt. Please register interest at  The entry fee is £5 and all proceeds will go to the War Graves Commission.

The Caterham Club were organising a Fun Fly day at Buckminster on 25th April and there will also be a BMFA South East Area Fun Fly day at the Nomads Club (Dartford) on Sunday 19th July.

Date of next meeting: Thursday 12th March

The Meeting closed at 21.00